If you are not happy with the service you have received or if we have failed to meet your expectations, we would like you to tell us about it so we can address your concerns and help improve our service to others. You may wish to contact the officer involved directly to discuss your concerns or you may prefer to discuss them with the officer’s supervisor. You can find contact details for officers and supervisors in frontline departments via our online directory. If you are dissatisfied with some aspect of the police service or our staff then you can complete our online comments form or you may make a complaint against the police.

Related links

Direction and control (complaints about force policy and procedure)

Not all complaints received relate to members of staff, some relate to the policies and procedures in place which support the day to day running of the force, such as operational policies, organisational decisions and management and general policing standards. These types of complaints are known as 'direction and control'. They fall outside of the Police Reform Act 2002 and therefore do not carry an appeal right at the conclusion of this type of complaint.

These are recorded within the Professional Standards Department and a responsible officer/staff member asked to provide a response to any matters raised. For example, if a member of the public expresses dissatisfaction with the number of officers in their neighbourhood, this is considered to be a direction and control complaint.

Dependent upon the nature of the complaint, a direction and control matter could result in:

In every case you will receive a response in writing, in relation to the issues raised, with the findings and decisions.